BACKGROUND
This thriving library is located in the community of Wheeling, IL a far north-west suburb of Chicago. The village of Wheeling is about 8.4 miles in size and has a community of about 38,555 people, but the service area of the library extends to a population of about 60,000. The library is a public one for the use of the residents and is centrally located within the village of Wheeling, IL.

mapdata.gif
Indian Trails Public Library


LIBRARY HISTORY
October, 1958
The neighboring villages of Wheeling and Buffalo Grove were small, semi-rural communities just beginning to expand in the post-war building boom. With the help of volunteers from several service organizations, and spearheaded by the Wheeling Women's Club, donations of money and books were solicited and a library was opened to the public.
March, 1959
Referendum was passed to establish the Wheeling Public Library District, covering a 10 square-mile area and including most of Wheeling and Buffalo Grove. Housed in a 20' x 30' frame building at the rear of the historic Union Hotel on Milwaukee Avenue, Wheeling. The library was a welcome and popular addition to a growing community but soon became pressed for space.
May 1959
First Library Board of Trustees elected.
July 1962
Library business hours increase to 25 per week.
June 1963
Library moved to a double store-front a block north. New library shelving, tables, and chairs replaced the makeshift furnishings and, with one minor expansion to add a separate Children's Room, this building sufficed until 1970.
IT63.jpg
July 1965
Library is open 47 hours and the collection is up to 12,725.
January 1966
Library Board votes unanimously to be third library to join the North Suburban Library System, then called Illinois Library District 5.
March 1970-June 1971
Outgrowing it's space once again, it was decided by referendum, to purchase a vacant church building on Jenkins Court, Wheeling, and remodel it for library use. The relocated library moved into it's new home in May of 1971. The District has also grown over the years, now covering a 13.5 square-mile area. In June 20, 1971, the library moved to 850 Jenkins Court following two successful referenda. The collection now totals 32,446.
IT71.jpg
January 1974
Library joins with five other libraries to form computer cooperative for electronic circulation and bibliographic control.
October 1974
Successful annexation referendum adds Lake County Buffalo Grove to the District. The name of the District was officially changed to Indian Trails Public Library District, to better convey the idea of a library that served an area rather than a village.
February 1981
Again, in need of more space, the Library Board held a building referendum, which failed to pass. A decision was made to erect a new library building by means of a self-directed method of allowable financing. Library moves to new building at 355 S. Schoenbeck Road for a total of 30,900 square feet on February, 1981.

IT81.jpgOctober 1989
Final payment made on the current Library building.
November 1991
Parking lot size doubled to accommodate serviced population of 58,789.
November 1993
Public decides against a branch library in an advisory referendum.
March 1994
Voters turn down referendum for funding library expansion.
June 1995
Library offers Internet access to patrons.
November 1995
Successful referendum passes 3,262 votes to 1,463 votes to add 14,000 square feet to the South Side of the building at a cost of $3.8 million in general obligation bonds.
October 1996
Kenneth Swanson, Administrative Librarian for 25 years, retires. Board honors him with a plaque of dedication for the future computer lab. Groundbreaking ceremonies are held. Secretary of State George Ryan provides $250,000 in Live and Learn Grant money.
May 1997
Tamiye Meehan begins as new Library Director.
January 1998
Staff moves collections and materials into new addition so that Phase II of construction can begin.
November 1998
The Library has a well attended Grand Re-Opening. Not only does the building have additional space for offices and bookshelves, but now contains a Computer Lab.
IT98.jpg

LIBRARY REMODEL OF 2009
The Indian Trails Public Library moved into its current building after its erection in 1981. Several additions and improvements have been made over the years. In the fall of 2009, the library opened its newly designed lobby which will provide better service to its patrons while updated the dated look of the old library. To handle this job, the library hired Levine Companies to complete the job.

CRITICAL RESPONSE
The library opened its new lobby in December of 2009 to praise from both Journal Online newspapers, and AmericanTowns.com.
The response from the public has been positive as well, showing an increased usage from patrons.


CONTACT
Indian Trails Public Library
355 S. Schoenbeck Rd.
Wheeling, IL 60090
847-459-4100
http://www.indiantrailslibrary.org/index.html

LINKS
Wheeling, IL." Wikipedia. 2010. Web. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheeling,_Illinois
"Library History." Indian Trails Public Library. 2010. Indian Trails Public Library, Web. 20 Feb 2010. <http://www.indiantrailslibrary.org/library/history.html>.
"Indian Trails Public Library." Levine Companies. 2006. Levine Companies, Web. 19 Feb 2010. <http://levineconstructioninc.com/gallery/institutional/indiantrails/indiantrails.asp>.
"Indian Trails Library Opens New Lobby." Journal Online (2009): n. pag. Web. 20 Feb 2010.
"Newly Remodeled Lobby at Indian Trails Library." American Towns. 2009. Web. 20 Feb 2010.